Skip to main content

Happy New Year 2015!

Even though it's just a normal day like any other, the mark of a new year has always been a special one. It prompts celebrations, rest days for working people, and of course time for reflection as a "new year" is about to come, and that we should look back to the previous year and see what we've done, as well as set "resolutions" for the upcoming year so we can be better people. Personally I have never been very good at either of those things - reflections are not something I do outside the compulsory academic kind lol, and I never really believe in new year resolutions since they will not be fulfilled anyway. But 2014 was a really special year in many ways, and through many experience and events that have happened, I start to feel the need to reflect (and record down these reflections so I won't forget them the next day. I think it's a sign of aging that I've been more and more forgetful...) and learn from what I've been through, rather than just brush them aside and continue living a happy, carefree life. Nothing wrong with that, it's just that I don't think I will be truly happy and carefree for a very long time living like that.

2014 has been special. It's somewhat a coming-of-age year for me with all the things that have happened. I was inspired by a friend of mine who graduated a valedictorian and is now doing things that she loves and are meaningful to the world at the same time. I was too fortunate to perform overseas in a huge stadium at a regional/international event. I was introduced to a whole new world that I never dared step foot in, met great new friends who challenged my carefree attitudes and made me realise that I had to work hard and not just wait and hope for what I want. I met people who made me drop my facade and become vulnerable, who made me dig deep and think about my life and myself in ways I have never done (or dared to do) before. And the constant people who appear in my life making it a bit more exciting/fun/bearable (depending on the occasion) made me realise how wonderfully blessed I am to even be here and have all the opportunities that I have had and will be having in the future.

2015 shall be that year that I become more sure of myself, more confident of myself. It shall be the year that I care less about what other people think, focus on what is going on before my eyes with the fullest attention (taking selfies in between is fine though). I shall read more, exercise more, practise more. I shall care more about people who actually care about me and are important in my life. I shall strive to be a positive energy when I'm around people. I shall not let anything or anyone but myself define who I am and what I can be.

Things change. People change. Let's all change for the better!

And of course, the mandatory new year's playlist that was generated by my phone's shuffle playback.

1 BEYONCE XO
2 LANA DEL REY VS CEDRIC GERVAIS YOUNG AND BEAUTIFUL REMIX
3 KHIA MY NECK, MY BACK (LICK IT)
4 PENTATONIX PAPAOUTAI
5 IGGY AZALEA DON'T NEED Y'ALL
6 KE$HA WE R WHO WE R
7 ABBA HAPPY NEW YEAR

Happy New Year everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's another New Year!

If you know me, you know that I don't usually do new year's resolutions. Because what is time but a social construct? Like ok, I see the point, and if it helps to motivate people into doing things, good for them. But I've never been the kind of person that is able to follow through with something if I plan them too rigorously. But then again, now that I'm 5.5 years into the corporate life, I realise that planning is important, and not even for the kind of big picture capitalist goals/visions/missions thing that companies do, but even for the day to day kind of work, because of how technologies have created this need to be super 'efficient' and 'productive'. Sometimes I wish that writing a blog post like this could be considered 'productive' as well in this capitalist world, because then I may be more motivated to write more than one post per year. Remember the time that I wanted to write one blog post per week and I wrote like 5 posts? Lol. Anywa

Life in quarantine

Ah hello, it's been a while. Not that anyone visits this blog anymore lol. But it's still good to be able to write things out some time. So we're entering the third week of lockdown here in Singapore. Yes it is a lockdown despite what the formal term is. And me, being a good citizen and law-abiding non-Singaporean, is staying at home. Thank you e-commerce and delivery services (as well as frontliners and health workers, of course). It's interesting to see how things are panning out, at least from the way people are reacting to this. For me personally, I really don't mind being at home for most of my week, but I do enjoy the very rare trips to the convenience stores nearby or just to check my mails downstairs. I've grown increasingly lazy to even go out to a supermarket and buy actual grocery - luckily my roommates will be happy to help. Generally I do feel that people are frustrated because they don't have a choice - das ist nicht freiwillig! (Yes I

2019

Just realised that I posted a post for 2020 planning/goals/whatever you want to call those like 1 month ago. Which makes me posting a 2019 reflections post at this moment kind of random lol but it's my blog so I do whatever I want. Nothing too fancy, just want to lay out some achievements and other highlights of 2019: Jan - switched to a role with more responsibilities. Started training phase Feb - went home for Tết Mar - qualified for Breakfast Club. KL trip was fun April - got promoted May - good start to the Consultant life, another Breakfast Club qualification. Didn't know what would hit me next lol Jun - shit month at work Jul - meh month at work Aug - first time being a groomsman Sep (craziest month) - first time being a bridesmaid and wedding emcee (the day after being a groomsman. Went on leave for 10 days on one of the best trips of my life to Japan and came back getting Consultant of the Month Oct - some severe post-travel depression that led to an improm