Skip to main content

Spontaneity

I've had a lot of random, mostly pessimistic thoughts over the past few days regarding many things that I was participating in. I feel like I don't belong. I don't know why suddenly the need for belonging just creeps up and overwhelms me like never before. I miss my old roommates, my old OG mates, my old times when I don't have to care about fitting in or being responsible for others.

Oh well, things change.

--

So today, after my first ever outside dance class with my friend (which was really fun and therapeutic in a way), I decided to walk around without really knowing where I want to go. So somehow I wandered upon Little India and all of its hustle and bustle. It's really cool to see a place in Singapore that is not so glossy, pretty, and most importantly, expensive. Among all the Indians I felt like a foreigner. A tourist who doesn't have any concern or care about what others think of me, and that I am free to look, see and be amazed by all the strangeness. I've been longing for that feeling ever since I travelled to Danang and Bangkok recently. And it's nice to know that there are places in Singapore that I can go to and (sort of) feel the same way.

Along the way, a stranger asked me whether I knew there was a post box nearby for him to send a postcard. Being the blur "tourist" I was, of course I said I didn't know where a post box was, and we parted. After a few minutes of walking to random places, I passed by him again, seemingly still looking for the post box. After passing by him without saying a word (and avoiding eye contact, as usual), I thought to myself "Why shouldn't I help him? I can (with my phone), and isn't this already a random night with the walking and all." So I ran back trying to find him, but to no avail. Nonchalant, I kept walking at a random direction heading towards the MRT station. And kind of to my surprise (but not really, since u know how a lost person can just go round and round), I met the guy in the station! I approached him and said I would help, and after about 5 minutes searching on my phone (btw, Google Maps doesn't really do a good job at finding places, like seriously whyyyy -.-), I showed him the direction on a map book that he has (thankfully, otherwise I don't know how he's gonna walk the 800 metres in the correct direction. In that time I managed to find out that it's his 3rd out of 4 days in Singapore, and that he came from Hong Kong. He thanked me and again, we parted.

In hindsight, I was really thankful that I decided to walk random paths and had this encounter. It kinda made me feel like somewhere, someone in the world would probably make me feel like I still belong. In this big big world. And that being spontaneous is super fun! (I can only be spontaneous in the right mood though, which doesn't happen so often. Maybe give me a dance class and I'll be on :p)

Then again, why is belonging so important anyway?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's another New Year!

If you know me, you know that I don't usually do new year's resolutions. Because what is time but a social construct? Like ok, I see the point, and if it helps to motivate people into doing things, good for them. But I've never been the kind of person that is able to follow through with something if I plan them too rigorously. But then again, now that I'm 5.5 years into the corporate life, I realise that planning is important, and not even for the kind of big picture capitalist goals/visions/missions thing that companies do, but even for the day to day kind of work, because of how technologies have created this need to be super 'efficient' and 'productive'. Sometimes I wish that writing a blog post like this could be considered 'productive' as well in this capitalist world, because then I may be more motivated to write more than one post per year. Remember the time that I wanted to write one blog post per week and I wrote like 5 posts? Lol. Anywa

Life in quarantine

Ah hello, it's been a while. Not that anyone visits this blog anymore lol. But it's still good to be able to write things out some time. So we're entering the third week of lockdown here in Singapore. Yes it is a lockdown despite what the formal term is. And me, being a good citizen and law-abiding non-Singaporean, is staying at home. Thank you e-commerce and delivery services (as well as frontliners and health workers, of course). It's interesting to see how things are panning out, at least from the way people are reacting to this. For me personally, I really don't mind being at home for most of my week, but I do enjoy the very rare trips to the convenience stores nearby or just to check my mails downstairs. I've grown increasingly lazy to even go out to a supermarket and buy actual grocery - luckily my roommates will be happy to help. Generally I do feel that people are frustrated because they don't have a choice - das ist nicht freiwillig! (Yes I

2019

Just realised that I posted a post for 2020 planning/goals/whatever you want to call those like 1 month ago. Which makes me posting a 2019 reflections post at this moment kind of random lol but it's my blog so I do whatever I want. Nothing too fancy, just want to lay out some achievements and other highlights of 2019: Jan - switched to a role with more responsibilities. Started training phase Feb - went home for Tết Mar - qualified for Breakfast Club. KL trip was fun April - got promoted May - good start to the Consultant life, another Breakfast Club qualification. Didn't know what would hit me next lol Jun - shit month at work Jul - meh month at work Aug - first time being a groomsman Sep (craziest month) - first time being a bridesmaid and wedding emcee (the day after being a groomsman. Went on leave for 10 days on one of the best trips of my life to Japan and came back getting Consultant of the Month Oct - some severe post-travel depression that led to an improm