Skip to main content

Workin' Life

SO today is the end of my first job, EVER. I DID IT! Having a part-time (this is a full-time job though, so let's consider it a summer job lol) job before I turn 22! Now there're just a few dozens more things on that random list to do before next year hur-hur.

(I can't find the list now for some weird reasons. Oh well.)

Anyway, I feel obliged to write a little reflection of my short-lived career as a waiter at HOTDOT Cafe & Bar. As always, this is gonna be a rambling and really random post as it goes on.

I've wanted to have a job since like forever, back when I was in secondary school when I just want to gain that little bit of financial independence and was almost ready to become like a newspaper delivery boy or something. I even wrote an article on some outdated software and sent it to my favourite technology magazine hoping that they will publish it, which of course nicely told me that the software was outdated and there were already tutorials for whatever I was writing about lol. It's just like the desire to wear glasses as a kid (when my vision was still perfect) or ride the motorcycle as a teenager/young adult. I've realised that the fight to get something is much more interesting and worthwhile than the achievement itself, most of the time. This job, too. But unlike glasses that I can just take off and go for a lasik surgery, motorcycle that I can just refuse to ride and ride the bus instead (albeit not the best choice in Hanoi), a job is something that eventually I would have to get in order to survive. And all the plus-plus that come alone with it: dealing with bosses, LATE PAYCHECKS (hot topic over the past few days lol), how to carry yourself in front of different people, grapevine communication aka gossip,... I don't know if I've learned something cool or awesome or beneficial after this 1-month experience, but I've definitely grown to understand myself a bit more, like how I deal with difficult circumstances (avoiding them as much as possible), how I adapt to different people (not everything you say is as interesting or funny as you think it is), how more comfortable I am with being super service-y and welcoming when I speak English (not that I'm local-phobia or anything. Really. I just find it a bit awkward to be all "HI. THANK YOU SO MUCH. YOU'RE WELCOME *SMILES*" in Vietnamese, for some reasons. I still smile though :). And I've definitely learned more about the service industry, and grown more appreciation for those people who make food, serve drinks and all that stuffs. It's not as easy, but they (the professionals) make it seem so effortless (unlike me running from floor to floor shouting orders everywhere lol).

I'm also glad that I took the job, despite all the 7am mornings and the dread of travelling 10km to a bar that is more likely to be empty that crowded in the morning/early afternoon aka my shift. I've met awesome people who may not think the same way I think, or do the same things I do (no one does -.-), but are friendly, fun, and they definitely lit up my summer holiday, which otherwise would be a lazy routine of wake up - lunch - babysitting - dinner - laptop - sleep - repeats. Working for the first time also serves as another reminder that I shouldn't take anything for granted, and the money that I spend everyday has been hard-earned by my parents who've worked 1000000000 times harder that me in this 1 month to make me so fortunate in life. (Grammy award acceptance speech much?)

So yeah, it has been fun, and I hope I'm more confident now to get like a part-time job in Singapore, because I kinda need the cash. Yup, one more thing about working: bosses, pay your employees on time or they're gonna get pissed off and start looting the stuffs (like, idk, alcohols in the bar? lol).

*BACK TO THE SCHOOLIN' LIFE IN HALF A MONTH'S TIME*


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's another New Year!

If you know me, you know that I don't usually do new year's resolutions. Because what is time but a social construct? Like ok, I see the point, and if it helps to motivate people into doing things, good for them. But I've never been the kind of person that is able to follow through with something if I plan them too rigorously. But then again, now that I'm 5.5 years into the corporate life, I realise that planning is important, and not even for the kind of big picture capitalist goals/visions/missions thing that companies do, but even for the day to day kind of work, because of how technologies have created this need to be super 'efficient' and 'productive'. Sometimes I wish that writing a blog post like this could be considered 'productive' as well in this capitalist world, because then I may be more motivated to write more than one post per year. Remember the time that I wanted to write one blog post per week and I wrote like 5 posts? Lol. Anywa

Life in quarantine

Ah hello, it's been a while. Not that anyone visits this blog anymore lol. But it's still good to be able to write things out some time. So we're entering the third week of lockdown here in Singapore. Yes it is a lockdown despite what the formal term is. And me, being a good citizen and law-abiding non-Singaporean, is staying at home. Thank you e-commerce and delivery services (as well as frontliners and health workers, of course). It's interesting to see how things are panning out, at least from the way people are reacting to this. For me personally, I really don't mind being at home for most of my week, but I do enjoy the very rare trips to the convenience stores nearby or just to check my mails downstairs. I've grown increasingly lazy to even go out to a supermarket and buy actual grocery - luckily my roommates will be happy to help. Generally I do feel that people are frustrated because they don't have a choice - das ist nicht freiwillig! (Yes I

2019

Just realised that I posted a post for 2020 planning/goals/whatever you want to call those like 1 month ago. Which makes me posting a 2019 reflections post at this moment kind of random lol but it's my blog so I do whatever I want. Nothing too fancy, just want to lay out some achievements and other highlights of 2019: Jan - switched to a role with more responsibilities. Started training phase Feb - went home for Tết Mar - qualified for Breakfast Club. KL trip was fun April - got promoted May - good start to the Consultant life, another Breakfast Club qualification. Didn't know what would hit me next lol Jun - shit month at work Jul - meh month at work Aug - first time being a groomsman Sep (craziest month) - first time being a bridesmaid and wedding emcee (the day after being a groomsman. Went on leave for 10 days on one of the best trips of my life to Japan and came back getting Consultant of the Month Oct - some severe post-travel depression that led to an improm